Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Eagles, Rain, Storm D.C. as Vick Set Records





Hurricane Michael touched down in D.C. Monday night. The damage was severe. This natural disaster was televised and was very ugly. As a lifelong Redskins fan, I have seen some ugly games, and lopsided wins. But last night was something out of Hollywood. I mean it was only two years ago that people thought that Michael Vick would never play QB in the NFL again. And now Vick is on the cusp of NFL history. There are seven games left in the regular season and Vick is positioning himself and the Eagles for a Playoff run. And even though the Eagles are in the Redskins’ division, as long as Vick is starting, I hope the Eagles go to, and win, the Super Bowl.


There were people, even Eagles fans, who were upset that Vick was signed to their team last season. Comments were made that were borderline offensive and racist. People made references to his intelligence, or lack there of, on a regular basis. But, it’s funny how all of the critics are on vacation while Vick is ripping through the NFL. And people wonder why Black people are still crying racism, in sports and America. The All-American boy, Peyton Manning, faced off against Vick last week and lost. The Golden Boy, Tom Brady (no disrespect to Brady, I love Tom, and I think he is still a Top 3 QB in the NFL), will get his opportunity at some point as well and my guess is the results will be the same. Vick is playing at a Super Bowl level right now and he took it out on my boys Monday night. I tried to get upset with the Redskins, but I was too happy for Vick. I had to put my loyalties for the Redskins aside and honor my loyalties as a Black man to Vick.

The NFL is on old organization. Many guys have played QB for teams in the NFL (and even the AFL), but Michael Vick became the first player in NFL history to have 300+ Passing Yards, 50+ Rushing Yards, 4+ TD Passes and 2+ Rushing TD’s in one game, which turned out to be the greatest performance by a QB on Monday Night Football, ever. Talk about winning the game all by yourself. Vick’s 80 Rushing Yards moved him to #2 All-Time behind Randall Cunningham for Most Rushing Yards by a QB. I really want to be upset about the Redskins losing the way that they did, but, if anyone deserved to have the spotlight on them and was due for that kind of performance, I am glad it was Vick. Say what you will about the man, but Vick deserved a second chance and I am glad he got it.

Donovan McNabb worked his ass off to be the most balanced QB that he could possibly be. And still, McNabb gets no respect. Carson Palmer is stinking up the joint in Cincinnati, but people blamed Chad Ochocinco, and are now blaming Terrell Owens. Jay Cutler has not won a playoff game yet, but Lovie Smith is on the hot seat. David Garrard was being blamed for Jacksonville’s woes, but can you name me one of Garrard’s Wide Receivers? I’ll give you one, Mike Sims-Walker. Do you know who that is? My point exactly. Michael Vick had Roddy White and Michael Jenkins in Atlanta, but at the time they were not producing. Now White is having a career year in Atlanta. Where was that when Vick was there? Vick carried that Falcons for years, yet he was being blamed for lack of wins, even though, he had very little talent around him. Vick wasn’t supposed to be able to come back to the NFL and play, let alone start. But with his second chance in football, but more importantly, life, Vick is taking full advantage of it and I can’t think of one person in the NFL who deserves it more.

Michael Vick’s action should have gotten him in trouble, but two years in Leavenworth was over the top. Just like my post last week, I can hear Bob Marley strumming his guitar singing his famous track “Redemption Song.” And Vick is getting his redemption now. I personally hope Vick wins the NFL MVP award this year, and the Super Bowl MVP. Can you imagine how pissed some people would be? I’ll bet the “N” word will be flying freely at that point. It doesn’t matter, Vick is doing his thing and has quieted his critics showing that he is and NFL QB, and quite possibly a Superstar. If you don’t like it, change the channel. The most electrifying player in the NFL is back. I am just glad that the Redskins don’t have another regular season game against Philadelphia. Otherwise we might be seeing a repeat performance.

No comments:

Post a Comment