Monday, September 12, 2011

Redskins Chop Giants Down To Size



Who was that team in Burgundy and Gold on Sunday?  I haven’t seen a team like that in about 20 years.  The Redskins still couldn’t move the ball on the ground, but they sure as hell could move it through the air.  The Giants had some injuries, but hey, who hasn’t??!!  The Redskins got a big day from Rex Grossman, Fred Davis and Santana Moss as they hand the Giants an Opening Day loss, 28-14.  I am guardedly optimistic, but truth be told, the Redskins looked really good against a fierce division opponent.

No matter how you slice it, the Redskins looked good against the Giants.  For most people, the shocker would be how well the Redskins’ Offense played.  But for me, the shocker was on Defense.  There was a stat that came out a few years back that 76% of the teams that have an INT returned for a TD in a game, has won that game.  That caught my eye as I am a huge fan of good Defenses, not matter who the team is.  And I did predict that the Redskins will finish in the top half (top 16 or better) this season.  But, if they continue to play like they did Sunday, they will finish in the top 10.  The Redskins only gave up 75 yards on the ground and had an INT returned for a TD.  I was happy that the 76% Rule held true Sunday as the Rookie Ryan Kerrigan, not only tipped, but picked of an errant Eli Manning pass and returned 9 yards for a TD.  I don’t know if was winded from the long 9 yard run or from celebrating.  (Just messing with you Ryan, great play.)   Manning threw for 268 yards, but didn’t throw for a TD and was sacked 4 times.  And on top of it all, the Redskins blocked a FG attempt.  Now I know that the FG didn’t have a chance in hell, but hey, that’s not going to show up in the stats.  Overall it was a great Defensive performance and I hope that it only gets better from here.  And I hope that the same thing holds true on Offense.

Fred Davis, former Mackey Award Winner at USC, had the kind of day that I expected him to have when I used to watch him in college.  I just didn’t think he’d ever have that day wearing a Redskins uniform while Chris Cooley was still on the roster.  Davis had 105 receiving yards on 5 catches.  No, he didn’t get into the endzone, but that will come.  Santana Moss has 76 yards on 6 catches.  He too didn’t get into the endzone, but he’ll have his day too.  But the man of the hour was Rex Grossman.  Grossman completed 21 of 34 passing attempts, passed for 305 yards and 2 TDs.  I’ve been a fan of his since he was at Florida playing for the Ol’ Ball Coach (Steve Spurrier) and throwing to Jacquez Green and Jabar Gafney.  Needless to say, I was disappointed in him when he decided to be the second coming of Brett Favre in Chicago.  I knew that he could play better.  Sunday was just a glimpse of what I thought Grossman was.  No I am not saying that he is Super Bowl bound this year, but it is not out of the realm of possibilities.  Right now the Redskins are 1-0 and I will enjoy it until Tuesday and so should Rex.

This weeks game ball goes to Ryan Kerrigan for that huge game-changing play.

No comments:

Post a Comment